On this occasion is to model and use some elements of architecture business for methodology or better throughout a work culture that is very popular and is DEVOPS. What is sought here is, without being the foremost expert in this methodology that par excellence is widely used for software development, create a scheme macro for this area, as if it were one area of the business and making it a little more than an emphasis on global technology architecture. Being aware that I am not the greatest expert in DEVOPS I will make these considerations to try to meet the goal of this article.
- 1. I will try to DEVOPS as if it were a normal company for purposes of display area for inclusion in an area of management of traditional software development services. There is the awareness that it is not.
- 2. It will not have into account, which means the culture of work of this methodology, and will not be reflected. The goal is to make an approach to architecture if you will, of solution where I show you some elements of the business layer and the layer of technology.
- 3. There will have other elements that will surely be needed. The idea is the feedback if you consider it; not so much in the article but if in their places of work if possible.
- 4. The desire is to share the knowledge and experience as an architect of business people who do not know or do not know DEVOPS; I also want to learn from all of their contributions.
- 5 It will depart from the premise that the company already has a level of acceptable maturity in managing services of I.T. in your area of traditional software development.
As all major business transformation, supported by information technology, requires a series of steps which will be briefly described below.
DEVOPS FOR MANAGEMENT OF I.T. SERVICES
- 1. Capture needs, concerns, drivers of the company stakeholders: any business transformation must take into account this phase. What does motivate the change? are there general risks to do it? Of not doing so? Among others.
- 2. Implement proof of concept. In this phase, already closer to the methodology, aims to show some basic business elements of organization processes, technology, human talent among others, ready for organizational change. In this case the transformation of the area of service management technology of traditional information, to an area already with the improvement include DEVOPS as evolution in the service.
- 3 Set up an area “pilot” of technology of information such as project for the company. This will allow already already include elements of a new culture for the I.T. Department.
- 4. Start or launch the proof of concept. Here what is pretend is to collect the lessons learned from the proof of concept and the project “pilot” in the information technology area.
- 5. Deployment of the model. It is the set of how works the area with all its values, processes, functions, applications, interactions with other areas of the company and continuous improvement.
DEVOPS MODEL DELIVERY SERVICE
The scheme below only for display purposes could only be the result of running steps earlier and would be the result of the deployment:
It is a simple scheme, where the rest of the company DEVOPS is isolated. Here I show the actors at the strategic level which make the operation of the area; tactically they are macro processes of the methodology and the actors of the area make it possible that the methodology functions. Such actors as developers, managers, and operators of the application created.
Now, What does need at the infrastructure level for the DEVOPS area runs properly? We then see him:
I have just extended the DEVOPS service delivery model using business interfaces and technology so that it is executed correctly.
The SaaS Stack, is the software product now already developed, delivered, supported and monitored by a service desk. In language of business architecture of TOGAF, this could be the SBB (Solution Building Block). Its architecture blocks (ABB’s, Architecture Building blocks), are services that have specific application depending on for which it was created. For example, if it were an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning), services provided by the application could be financial, administrative, shopping and products; These are ABB’s.
Note that all the actors at the strategic level through a service desk could have access to the support. Also of course usage, which was created for the specific application.
A new scheme I want to show the components of technology architecture (some) that could be well relevant for the area of DEVOPS.
Now, the IaaS – Infrastructure as a Service, refer the stack of services that can be deployed in a datacenter. Then we have services of virtualization, management and location of resources, storage, communications networks among others, blades, racks among others. In language of architecture such as TOGAF, the SBB, would be the entire infrastructure. The ABB’s would come to be the components that are required to run the solution in this case Datacenter. In the example the ABB’s would be the pool of resources, virtualization and physical resources. The BB (Building Blocks) are basic components in architecture. For example, in the case of Datacenter, blocks of physical architecture of the above scheme, will be communications, racks, blades, and surely many others.
Finally for the ultimate, I intend to show the Paas Stack, Platform as Service Stack. I wanted to leave it to the last because it has some blocks of architecture that is necessary a further explanation and without this it would be technologically and functionally difficult to carry out the delivery and the new Department or area of “Information Technology as a Service” based on DEVOPS. Then the following diagram:
I will explain this great SBB (Solution Building Block) in the same way in the Architecture Building Blocks and Building blocks as possible.
- 1. Control Desk Services (ABB): contains all the information and the elements of software configuration created as software service delivery assets. CMDB and Software App Assets are some of the Building Blocks of this service.
- 2. R – T – M – D Services (ABB): Contains software platform that will enable the control via monitoring, transactions, resources, Diagnostics to application events. Each of these are the Building Blocks of this block of architecture.
- 3. Software Applications Knowledge Services (ABB): Fundamental for any development of software blocks that the component are the bugs database platform and the base of knowledge for the resolution of problems and incidents of the application created.
- 4. Workload Automation Services (ABB): is the software platform that will enable the orchestration of services of applications and engines of processes, rules of business, canonical models among others. BPMS would be in great Building block in this case.
- 5 Analytics Services (ABB): this software platform that is essential in the world of today, is that will allow the area, not only lead the metrics of the application in real time with the dashboards but software platform that correlate, that automate Analytics tasks. Then the building block might be: Analytics Software, Dashboards Software, Automation Software, Correlations Software.
It is important to clarify once again that the infrastructure as a service and platform as service is for all software as a service created specific to the needs of the customer and the business, meeting the goals outlined in a strategic plan.
To finish this architecture model was intended more for companies that develop software in outsourcing direct mode or specific BPO as technology partner of a company that its strength is not I.T.
How about this model of technology architecture ITaaS?
If you want to know how to run the company strategy through enterprise architecture tool implement contact me here.