I was reviewing the article that was written a while ago, https://juanbarrancoit.com/en/approach-implementing-cobit-5/ because precisely of here I am starting right now.
As a result we had to build the processes:
- EDM01 Ensure the establishment and maintenance of the frame of Government
- EDM02 Ensure the delivery of benefits
- EDM04 Ensure the optimization of resources
- BAI02 Manage the definition of requirements
- BAI04 Manage availability and capacity
- APO04 Manage innovation
- APO08 Manage relationships
- APO07 Manage human resources
- BAI07 Manage the acceptance of change and transition
The roadmap of construction of processes was this:
Now I want to put as an example as a model that it is a stage in the process design of the framework of work BPM, process BAI02 Manage the Definition of Requirements.
I have decided this, because tech companies that develop software this is one of the key processes and to do it well or badly largely projects or phases or “sprints” as they call those who work under methodologies agile development, will be success or failure. They also say that the software is good for the quality of the process; and at a level more this process is part of the great process of building software solutions such as changes, deployments and other evidence.
BAI02: MANAGE THE DEFINITION OF REQUERIMENTS
The process I propose as an example is as follows:
Do complicated? Surely if this rigorously. It is only a proposal and an example of thousands possible. Surely software developers will have much to say in this process. I do not come from the world of software development. Please increase the font sizes or page of your browser to see it better because of their resulting complexity.
CONSIDERATIONS AND CONCLUSIONS
If it were consistent with the roadmap where you could see that that process already is currently 75% approximately, possibly with these inclusions of these elements already is 90% within COBIT PAM type assessment. It will also depend on other factors.
Also, it was assumed that governance processes that deliver their outputs to this process as if they already existed before such as type APOXX processes existing. I am aware in Government implementations if I find a case as well, should reconsider the roadmap or even in a next phase of implementation of COBIT 5 prioritize these processes of management / Government.
It was assumed that this process is for companies that build business or institutional software. For other companies process could be entirely different.
The thoroughness in the construction in reengineering and / or redesign of a process which already exists as it was assumed this desired level and with that level of maturity cost quite some time both in their construction as its implementation and also in its assimilation by all the interested. Another thing would be to try the automation of this process which is a later stage within the BPM framework if it is possible or not; i.e. If it delivers true value to the company that makes software or not.
Finally Recalling section “What processes could do part of an implementation?” of article https://juanbarrancoit.com/en/approach-implementing-cobit-5/ , section of processes for optimization of assets, resources, and capabilities of the I.T., we have:
- S: EDM01 Ensure the establishment and maintenance of the frame of Government
- S: EDM02 Ensure the delivery of benefits
- P: EDM04 Ensure the optimization of resources
- P: APO01 Manage the IT management framework
- S: APO02 Manage strategy
- P: APO03 Manage the enterprise architecture
- P: APO04 Manage innovation
- S: APO05 Manage the portfolio
- S: APO06 Manage budget and costs
- P: APO07 Manage human resources
- S: APO08 Manage relationships
- S: APO09 Manage service agreements
- S: APO10 Manage providers
- S: APO11 Manage quality
- S: BAI01 Manage programs and projects
- S: BAI02 Manage the definition of requirements
- S: BAI03 Manage the identification and construction of solutions
- P: BAI04 Manage availability and capacity
- S: BAI05 Managing organizational changes
- S: BAI06 Manage changes
- S: BAI08 Managing knowledge
- P: BAI09 Manage assets
- P: BAI10 Manage the configuration
- P: DSS01 Manage operations
- P: DSS03 Manage problems
- S: DSS04 Managing continuity
- S: DSS05 Managed security services
- S: DSS06 Manage the controls of the business process
- P: MEA01 Monitor, assess and evaluate performance and compliance
It was chosen to model the process BAI02. Notice how they appear as “S” processes APO01, APO03, APO10, APO11, BAI01, BAI03, BAI04 and BAI05 in this first phase of implementation of I.T. governance processes. For the next phase of implementation of I.T. Government, these processes should be considered on a priority basis and that key activities (practices as called by the framework COBIT 5), used as inputs / outputs of this process. Depending on how he says that article, depending on the priority of business goals “Optimization of assets, resources, and capabilities of the I.T.” or “operational productivity and employees” are prioritized these other processes and build and It will also depend on the degree of maturity or existence having at the time.
Hypothetical exercise both of the preceding article like this, watch as we will in the implementation of COBIT, for a company wishing to align their business strategy and the area of I.T.
If you want to how to implement I.T. governance processes, contact me here.